Monday 5 November 2007

Faith- The Glass Is Half Full



With Mutley winning a clear 52% of the vote, there can be no argument. Mutley shall be our President.
John Major acquitted himself OK at 30%, with Bob Geldoff and Paddy Ashdown doing less well.
As for Mandelson, well, let's just say he flopped.

This week's poll I guess, is about we why live.
Why we work, why we play.
And when it comes down to it, why we blog.

How DO you see this curious mystery that is our experience?

Ultimately we can only ever see it one of two ways.
And that depends on how we view OURSELVES.

Do you look in the mirror and like what you see?
Or not?

The old glass half empty, glass half full dichotomy is truer than we often appreciate.
Because both are true. The glass is both half empty and half full. But are you concerned by what you haven't got, or what you have?

Humanity may go on for millions of years, or it may end in fifty.
We don't know.

You may acheive everything you dream of, or you may end life a bitter failure.
You don't know.

The man you have just met could your best friend, or he could be a con man.
You don't know.

But you are living a life where you HAVE to make decisions based on an assumption. Which are you going to believe?



Are you going to treat everyone as your friend, until they prove themselves an enemy?
Or treat everyone as an enemy till they prove themselves a friend?

Is it worth living a life where you see the community around you, the people you share a world with, as basically good, something worth fighting for, even worth dieing for?
Or is it just a case of most people are selfish, so carve your own little niche and sit in it, because nothing is worth believing in, except you and the tiny group of people you allow yourself to trust?

Do you believe that even though you are flawed, even though you have a list of failings that you are ashamed of, that you CAN, in some small way make a difference?
In a positive way?

And can you believe that of those around you too?

When you look at a blog you've never read before, a blog whose author you know NOTHING about, do you see a new friend?

Do you see EVERY HUMAN BEING YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH as a new face to get to know, as someone else you'd like to have as a friend?
Or not?

Because it matters.
If you are no good, than how can your species be?

If the species is going to succeed, then maybe you'll be part of that.
If it isn't, why bother?

Aren't you just trying to succeed in a futile existence?

There are millions out there doing just that. Oh, they have partners and children and four wheel drives and nice houses.
But it is dead lives they lead. They have failed, in every sense that really matters.
They have no faith in Man, and therefore, no real faith that their lives have meaning, outside the narrow world they have carved for themselves.



Life, life isn't a dress rehearsal.
You WILL cock up. You WILL cause pain and hurt, and you will receive it too.
You WILL sometimes find yourself groaning, unable to see your way out of the mess you are in.

But then you need to remind yourself;

You're a good person.
You're going to be OK.

People are good.
They're going to be OK.

Life is amazing.
It's GOING TO BE OK.

And none of this may be true.
You may be wrong.
But even if you are, you win.

Because your life will have been happier.
The thoughts in it were nicer.

Do you have faith?

Have your say!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have faith that you will produce a provocative post on faith every now and again wondering if we have lost our faith, but somehow coming clean in the end that you haven't lost faith, just sick of other people's lack of it.

I think people are genrally good with good intentions. Sometimes those intentions turn out atrocious and that person is labeled evil forever.

It is interesting meeting new people, not knowing whether they will be your friends or enemies. They usually reveal their true colors rather quickly, but the "turn" is fascinating to watch.

Anonymous said...

It's very hard to have faith in mankind sometimes. I don't mistrust everybody but I am more careful and listen to my instincts - which are usually correct - these days. I have found, when travelling, that if you show interest in the culture and expect people to be kind and helpful, that is mostly what they will be.

Anonymous said...

Live in hope not fear.

My maxim. Not always easy to follow I grant you that.

Anonymous said...

I think I am basically a half full person, with upbeat expectations for people and situations.

However in business dealings I tend to be quite suspicious.

Yes I do think we can make a difference in our own small way to make the world a better place. I think we can reach out to each other and really listen, be empathetic.

You may be wrong.
But even if you are, you win.

Because your life will have been happier.
The thoughts in it were nicer.


I like this a lot however we can't always change.

Anonymous said...

I love people--it's my government and the motives of the current regime that I distrust above many things.

If we don't trust, at least to an extent, and don't have faith in the humanity of those we might consider strangers, we should pretty much file ourselves away into the misanthrope category.

We, as a species, have gotten where we are not through fierce individualism, though that certainly does play a part, but through cooperation.

This was a great post. More than saying 'live each moment to the fullest', it speaks of a humanism that so many humans are afraid to embrace more and more.

Anonymous said...

I do have a very positive approach to people - mainly because to not have would be a miserable empty and selfish existence. It would truly have no point. You always inveigle me into making some kind of serious remarks Mr Ingsoc. If the purpose of life is just to pile up belongings and fight other people then I am a failure.

Anonymous said...

Hey babe,

Firstly, I just wanna say thanks for looking after me on Saturday, and looking out for me. You're a true friend. You know what i'm like, and you kept checking if I was ok and you kept me going and happy, and thank you so much for that.

If you hadn't been there, I probably wouldn't have had such a good time, and certainly one of my other mates would have looked out for me as you did. Thank you for caring aboutnme so much, and being my rock when I needed you. It wont be forgotten xxx

Secondly, as well you know, my glass is always half-empty. Something to do with depression I guess, so I voted a big fat NO to your question. If I had faith in life, then my friends and family wouldn't due so young, and life would be sweet.

Unfortunately that's not the case, therefore life sucks, so no I don;t have much faith in it i'm sorry to say!

Anonymous said...

I have faith in life yes because there is no other alternative. I truly believe you create your own reality so get going!

Anonymous said...

Alexys- I guess I was going through a lack of faith moment and needed to remind myself of a basic premise I always try to believe.

I think if you take at face value, they usually turn out to be friends. It is distrust creates emnity- hence the need for faith.

Welshcakes- The thing is I see it as kind of a gamble. You win more out of what you gain by trusting until proven wrong, than you lose when you ARE wrong.
Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't be streetwise and watch your back.

E-K- It's not easy, no. Because it's so easy to get bogged down sometimes.
But mostly, everybody wants to hope, not fear and when we fear, its much as we did during the cold war, with each side fearing the guy pointing nukes at them, not realising they were looking in the mirror.

Eric- I think its created with a purpose- or at least individualism is cultivated for a purpose by the powers that be.
People who loved and hoped wouldn't stand for the way we live.

Mutley- I agree 100% percent. Life wihout people is pointless, it has NO purpose.
It sems you and I are similar types of failures- take away my books and CDs and I own some old furniture and some random jumk.

SS- Hey, well, I may be useless at a lot of things, but going out and having a good time is one thing I do well, I think.

The point is, it is the only life you'll ever have, so every second wasted in unhappiness, is a second lost from your )finite) capacity for happiness. I think I have said this to you before :)

You just CANNOT afford to let things get you down, because THIS is your life, and its what you got.

You won't get a second chance.
That's why people matter- always have people around and even Hell is OK.

Poody- Couldn't have put it better!
There IS no alternative.

And if we all work hard for the positives, mankind WON'T fail.

Anonymous said...

I do have faith... but I am not naively optimistic. To me it seems as though you can hope for the best in people, but not be clueless regarding potential betrayals.
It is a hard edge to skate at times, though.