Thursday 16 August 2007

The Sad Story of Storm



Some of you may know, I really love dogs.
I think dogs are more than just man's best friend.

To me, they are not animals, they occupy a strange realm between humanity and the rest of animalkind.
It always surprises me that people are closer related to mice and rats than dogs.

When I do visit my family, it is mainly to see the dogs. The eldest is quite old now, but when I was a teenager, and he was a puppy, he was very important to me.
He always slept at the end of my bed, though he shouldn't have really.
If he's ill, my mother will always let me know. I want to be there when he goes.

I'll probably cry, too.

Something happened this weekend which upset me a little.

The Baker has a brother, who up till last week lived with his girlfriend and two children.
And a massive Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Storm.

Now Storm is a handful.
I wouldn't get him angry, and I love playfighting most dogs.
He is like a frothing missile of fur and gristle.



Anyway, The Baker came down Friday night and told us that his brother and his partner had a row and dumped the kids and Storm on his mother.
He was going to take Storm back to Manchester with him, and my flatmate was going to mind him, whilst we went to the party.

I really don't know what was going to happen to Storm next, or how he thought Storm could stay in his flat all day whilst he was at work, bearing in mind the hours The Baker works.

Events pre-empted any of this.
We got to The Baker's Mum's, to find the Dog Wardens taking Storm away.

It had all been too much for him, the uncertainty, the confusion, the bitterness of the break up.
And I don't suppose he got much love during that period.

It turned out he'd killed a cat that morning, and The Baker's brother had disappeared.

The Baker was furious (at his brother, and justifiably in my eyes), his mother was clearly angry and upset- as well as concerned for the children, abandoned by both parents.

The saddest bit was when myself and my flatmate were sitting on the patio having a fag.
The children came up, playing with Sprout, The Baker's Mum's dog.
The eldest said 'He's big, but not as big as Storm. Storm's sleeping now in the garage. Storm loves to play.'

It cut me, it really did.
Who would tell them?
And when?

Liz would understand.

So we were all a little downhearted when we set off again for Manchester.
And The Baker was very angry and disappointed with his brother for letting all this happen.
For not loving his dog.

The good thing is, a home will be found for Storm.
But that's only because of people like Dog's Trust.

I'll let you in to a secret. I only give monthly donations to two charities. One is SPUC, the other is this.
I sponsor a dog called Freddie at eight pounds a month.

I did this initially, because I can't own a dog, I don't have time to look after it, but I so miss having a dog.
Giving eight pounds a month for Freddie partially satisfies deep yearnings within me.

To me, this really is a charity worth giving to, because dogs give us so much, yet are entirely dependant on us.

Please consider adopting a dog through Dog's Trust.
Because there are dogs out there who haven't received the love that all dogs deserve.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two dogs...both beagles...and they were like my children...I adored them like no other...then I had a human child and the dogs are still important but not like a child. I feel bad for dogs that are victims of circumstances beyond their control. Its really sad, and those kids will be so upset by this! Dogs are so loving, and great companions, they are truly better than cats (yuck) and I would support adopting a dog that needs a home! There are so many dogs that need good homes! I hope all works out well for the family and Storm!

Anonymous said...

I was coming to make some silly remarks but I read your sad post.Mutley is a cross bred staff/Jack and he can be well complicated.... I know about these kinds of dogs... I am sorry to read what happened, I do the National Canine Defence League (NCDL), I won't link it because I don't want to deflect anyone from your lovely dogs trust...

Anonymous said...

Oh Crushed, this is a post I would prefer not to have read, as I'm sure you did not wish to have to write it.

I hope all turns out well for poor Storm and for the children too.
I understand how you miss having a dog. After having dogs over a sixty year period, I too am dogless and how I wish it were different.
regards
jmb

Anonymous said...

Do you ever read my little Alloted Span blog Mr Ingsoc? I have a little story on there I just put up...
Alloted Span

Anonymous said...

Thats so sad. Staffy's are absolutely beautiful dogs. Little tanks. They're fantastic with kids but unfortunately not real good with anything furry and smaller than them.

He is lucky in one way. Any dog that shows aggression like that is normally euthanased immediately in Aus. Thats a tragedy, because most (though not all) of the time the fault does lie with the owner. And it is difficult to retrain these animals. I know animals, and I would have difficulty trusting a dog with a history of that.

Anonymous said...

Never mind the dog, what about the kids? How emotionally scarred are they going to be knowing their parents dumped them like a sack of shit?

Why would it suprise anyone that if they can treat humans like that, humans that THEY created, why would they give a crap about a dog?

Anonymous said...

why is everyone talking about dogs!!! i've been longing to have one for myself. one side effect of hostel life!

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't like the furry little bastards. For a third World city, Istanbul is a very kind of clean place except for the dog crap everywhere. How hard would it be to add some form of natural luminescent material to dog food that survives the digestion process? I'm not suggesting we feed our four-legged friends bits of Saddam's WMD's (!) but I'm sure there must be natural
alternatives. At least then we'd be able to pinpint the little piles of stinkiness at night and avoid all the associated unpleasantness. Thank you for your attention.

Anonymous said...

Steph has a point!

Anonymous said...

it is so sad. thanks for the link. i am forwarding it to some friends that will definitely make a contribution.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Storm. That's so sad. I can well imagine it had all been too much for him. It's nice to know that you are such a dog-lover, Crushed.

Anonymous said...

Jenny- Beagles are pretty cool dogs.
I suspect all may not work out well for the family, however.
The whole thing is a mess.

Mutley- It always sickens me that dog abusers receive very little conemnation.
I have yet to hear of someone being truly punished for the things that inflicted on dogs.
I commented on one of your stories last week!

jmb- Dogs bring out a kind of paternal instinct in me, I guess.
The family upstairs have a dog, but I hear it howling up there on its own sometimes, and it seems cruel. If we had a garden out back, it might be different, but all we have is an open car park.

Phish- I don't think Storm is a bad dog, but I suspect he got rough treatment recently.
I think The Baker thinks this too.

Steph- That thought had occurred to me.
It's odd, because no one on the patio that afternoon came from a happy family life, yet everyone was shocked.

Nithya- I often think that I could pull it off, if I worked for myself.
I have never quite seen why people go for cats.

Stan- You are joking!
Dogs are class!
dog muck is the owners fault. dogs actually don't really like going in a place that's too public. Their instincts are to go somewhere private.

Raffi- It does help, because the point is to house the dog and treat it if necessary- somtimes this can almost amount to 'counselling'.
This cost money and every eight pounds a month is a reprieve for a dog who might need a bit of extra help and isn't seen as attracrive to would be adopters.

Welshcakes- When I was young, the dog was my ally.
I've never seen them as animals, I had (and still have) no problems with a dog sleeping in the bed and I tend to talk to them in sentences rather than commands.
People say that's anthropomorphising.

I say they underestimate dogs.

Anonymous said...

Good post. I'm glad for Freddie.

Don't quite understand about the wardens, though. Why were they taking him away? Was it because of the cat, or because The Baker's Brother didn't want him?

Anonymous said...

We have a little terrier, who is the most loyal member of the family. Good with the kids and just noisy enough to worry would be intruders. We have a big enough garden that he can get around and follow the sun during the day. We also support the Animal Welfare League, who do such a great job along the lines of the organisations that you and Mutley talk off.

Anonymous said...

That is a very sad story. I know it's not exactly the same but it's the same principle when people grumble about dogs' mess on the pavements and it's not the dogs! It's the stupid owners not cleaning up that deserve the bad-mouthing!

I do feel for the children. Will Storm really be rehoused? I thought dogs who killed were euthanased.