Sunday 19 August 2007

How Much of Ourselves Do We Give?

Mutley occasionally runs Guest posts which are different to your average Guest post.



The key difference is that the Guest posting blogger usually forgets that he has written the post.
In fact sometimes, they may be quite off topic.

But let me tell you something, I can name at least one blogger, who thought I actually did write this.

I'll tell you something else.
When I saw it, I was taken aback.

Because it was uncanny. Like looking in the mirror.

This scared me, it did, no doubt about it.
To be able to be that accurate, you need to have an image in your head of that blogger, which must be quite close to the mark. You have to have something to work with.

Mutley summed up three things which, standing back, must be obvious to anyone who reads this.

Firstly, there is the obscure, somewhat theoretical subject matter which probably often comes across as only slightly less arcane than this 'guest post'. I suspect much of what I write often comes across as either cloud cuckoo land or just plain bizarre to many of you, but there is a joined up theory linking my political/philosophical posts, which I could write a book on, but probably never will.

If you had the misfortune to be one of my close friends, you would also be familiar with my tendancy to talk on this vein, at length, some would say, ad nauseum.
I write pretty much how I speak, except typeface doesn't actually convey the fact that I have a very annoying habit in real life of emphasising random words. In the last sentence, I would have intonated 'speak', 'typeface', 'actually', 'convey', 'very', 'habit', 'life' and 'emphasising'.
That's just how I talk.

Well, I shouldn't mind that Mutley is so accurate here now, should I?
What's the problem, you say?
Nothing.

But Mutley also parodies the posts which were never originally meant to appear here. The posts where I admit to being a real person and not a spambot.
And here again, he's bang on. My attempts to apply any theoretical and logical principles to my own life are largely a complete disaster.

I use a pseudonym for a few reasons. The main ones are these. I like to able to discuss my opinions with people and get feedback on them. I like that discussion to be on the merits of the ideas themselves. Personal matters have crept in here, and I guess that is obvious that whilst I might have very nice theoretical principles, I don't live my life in a manner the majority of people would find commendable.

Sometimes I do find it helpful to blog on personal matters, your advice is impartial and it has a confessional feel to it.
I am aware that probably shows a side to me that is colder, harder, more cynical and manipulative, than you might expect from some of my other posts.
Both sides are true.
My principles are based on my rational thoughts.
My life is based on a fairly shallow 'live for the day, for tomorrow we die' approach.



This of course, is the other reason I use a pseudonym. Only The Baker and my flatmate know the URL. The fact that I know they can read any post, and comment if I was dishonest, means I have to be relatively honest on this blog, but I can trust them not to comment at it. I really do not want people who know me by name reading and commenting here. Whatever truly decadent activities I get up to- and many of them would seem completely decadent to many of you- they have no place on this blog, and I don't want references to them in the comments section.

I have nice readers, like Welshcakes and Ruthie.
And his Lordship thinks I'm bad enough as it is.

Which brings me to the alarming bit, the end paragraph.
A perfect send up of the vain, self-opinionated way I do fling myself around in real life.
What scares me, is how does Mutley know?
Am I that transparent?

Not overly so, I can take comfort in that. One highly intelligent blogger who shall remain nameless has long nursed a theory regarding me which amused me when I discovered the theory. Let's just say, it was pretty wide of the mark, and not something anyone would think likely who knew me at all.
Likewise, those bloggers who have contacted me for whatever reason, have given me some confidence in the effectiveness of my filter, by making initial assumptions about me which are wrong.

But I do worry sometimes, how much of what I hide from you, do you see?
And since what I hide is in itself a mass of contradictions, I'm a very multi-faceted person, WHICH facet do you see?

More worrying is how far we ourselves can trust other bloggers. I don't mean that other bloggers are willfully deceitful, though it happens. I mean that I try hard to ringfence this blog, so that it remains uncontaminated by my real life.

Here is where we come to the grey area. There is a twilight zone where the identity of this blog merges into my own real life identity. Several of you have entered into discussions with myself, regarding posts I have done, which have progressed to a degree where I am comfortable dropping the mask.

I take a risk when I do this. In the long run, it is only possible to do this if the other blogger can remember the distinction between me and my blog.
Let me put it this way. Bloggers may well form personal friendships with other bloggers.
But if a Blogger wants to keep his or her blogging identity separate from his or her real identity, then that personal friendship must stay out of the bloggosphere.
Bloggers who know eachother by name, must still behave online, as if they only know eachother by what they have put online in the public domain.

I get alarmed when people leave comments, not to Crushed, but to me. It poses a real threat.
I get alarmed when people leave comments that show they have had conversations with me outside the bloggosphere, that they know me as a real person and have a connection with me as an actual human being.
It's not a problem that they see me that way, it's just that this should stay private. Nobody else who reads the blog should be aware of it.

Because their relationship is with the blogger, not the blog.

I'll be honest, these are things which keep me awake at night. They do.

Because I do enjoy this medium, but I can only do so if my real identity and personal life are kept at arms length. There has to be a very real separation between me and this blog.

Because I don't want people who know me to read it.
Or people who read it knowing me, beyond what I feel comfortable putting here.



Trust me when I tell you, this blog puts me through Hell sometimes.
But I do also find it very rewarding, it helps me get a lot off my chest, and it allows me to put across my worldview over time, possibly the only time I'll ever write any of this stuff down.
There are some things in life I enjoy doing, there are others which are worthwhile.
This is the only one I can think of which is both.

But one day keeping my real life and this blog separate will involve so much life energy, it could drive me to a nervous breakdown.
And that day, I will post no more.

I hope it's not any day soon.
But I'm starting to face reality here.
It could be a year away, it could be a week away.

So till then, I shall blog each day as if it is my last.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

you only get back as much as you give. blogging is simply an outlet i use for my own benefit. sometimes others find it amusing. i don't believe i am solving or answering anything, but maybe i provoke some thought. some days i write absolute garbage, and other times i'm taken aback by some of the insight i render. oh well, in our blogadigm, people do stuff to get attention or shock-value. i think mutley is funny and he's harmless. his post actually made me laugh b/c it really, really reverberated an ingsoc-esque tone. anyways, have a great remainder of a weekend ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you-a worthy post. It's important that we all adhere to some basic but volunteristic ground rules.Many of us (alas) can't "out" ourselves in this particular medium. Operating under a pseudonym is not an amusing option for a very large number of bloggers.As you say, for many of us, there has to be a very real separation between ourselves and the blog....

Anonymous said...

I have a very annoying habit in real life of emphasising random words. In the last sentence, I would have intonated 'speak', 'typeface', 'actually', 'convey', 'very', 'habit', 'life' and 'emphasising'.

I would like to witness this in person. I'm sure it's to die for! I'm a laughing as I write this comment. Very Seinfeld-ian.

But one day keeping my real life and this blog separate will involve so much life energy, it could drive me to a nervous breakdown.And that day, I will post no more.

I hope it's not any day soon.
But I'm starting to face reality here. It could be a year away, it could be a week away...So till then, I shall blog each day as if it is my last.


I think every blogger has to fact this reality. When I started blogging, I had the sole purpose of "coming out of closet." If that day ever does come, you can always shut down this blog and start another. It's not as if blogging life must end there. There's always another day. (And I do hope that I be included on your blogger friends who receive the new address.)

Anonymous said...

Woooooh... doppelganger... check your credit card invoices for purchases you haven't done! It all starts somewhere... :)

Anonymous said...

I think you are a great guy from reading your posts - I keep coming back here to read you because I find it interesting - actually more than just interesting - I find it very rewarding and worthwhile to do so.

I am ashamed if my foolish parody offended you - I realise you did not ask to spoofed and that you did not deserve it. But I also thought you would not get angry about it. And I was right about that.

I started blogging to put short stories on-line so that someone might read them. That was all. MTD came after that - and I offer no explanation for him. He just is. I guess he expresses a side of me that would otherwise not be expressed.

Being anonymous remains essential to me at the moment - mostly because as well as all the nice people we read and kinda meet and chat to, there are also loads of nutters on line.

Anonymous said...

As Mutley said... there are "loads of nutters on line". If they weren't, my blog would be entirely lacking in comments.

Anonymous said...

Stop picking on me. It MEAN.

Anonymous said...

My sweet-cheeked petunia,
I was, of course, referring to Mutley. And Dyck.

Anonymous said...

...And his Lordship thinks I'm bad enough as it is...

Does he? Only some of the random ideas. :)

Blog each day as if it's your last, which it well might be in the near future if Iain Dale is right and we all get wiped off the blogmap.

Anonymous said...

What does Iain Dale about being wiped out? I can't see anything on his blog about this..

Anonymous said...

Like Mutley, I couldn't find anything on Dale's blog.

Anonymous said...

Raffi- None of us have a monopoly on truth, but the great thing about this medium is the variety of thoughts on offer- bloggers get to see many points of view.
I can honestly say, I have read many posts which have affected my thought processes.
Mutley's post WAS brilliant. He's a highly intelligent, observant blogger.

Stan- For me, it's very much not an amusing option. I do now pretty much lead a treble life.

Lucy- I also have very exaggarated hand gestures.
More room for comedy?:)
When this blog is dead, it's dead. I won't set up another identity. I'd like to think I can keep going for a couple of years or so- because I intend to use some of the more serious posts as book material.

Heart- This is where I'd fall down. I never bother reading invoices. I'm too trusting, when it comes to money.

Mutley- It certainly didn't offend me, it showed me your skills at observation.
Satirical humour, in my opinion is harder to do than many other types, but ultimately cleverer.
I think what say about expressing a side that would not otherwise be expressed is true.
That's why it's addictive.

Stan- Give the people what they want...

Kitty- Who's picking on you? Stan?
Doesn't surprise me, he learnt some mean tricks in the Phanariot quarter, I hear.

Sir James- The ideas ARE connected by a concrete belief system, which I concede, might seem a little radical and random too maybe.

Mutley and Stan- Assume the worst. We're thinking.
We should be watching 'I'm a celebrity in stead.'

Anonymous said...

I am the opposite blogger than you, I don't have a "secret" identity or anything, and what you read is what I am. But I can respect the fact that anonymous bloggers are doing it for a reason, whatever the reason may be, it's important for people to respect that.

Anonymous said...

I hope you can keep this blog going for a long time for I find it quite interesting and this post very much so.
I do see other anonymous bloggers say that on their blog they can be themselves, let it all hang out,etc. But I find myself being very circumspect on my blog and I'm sure people see me as being a very different person from what I am. I am quite detached in what I write and probably more of me comes across in comments on others blogs than in my own. Although even there I also tend to filter stuff.
regards
jmb

Anonymous said...

I am really rubbish mate -I am just posting here so you know I read your replies. One of the things that annoyed me when I started writing blogs and comments was that I never knew if anyone had read my comment...

Anonymous said...

Jenny- What you read is what I am, but I don't blog on a variety of subjects which in fact occupy much of my real life.
By the same token, I think my employers would raise their eyes at my blog.

jmb- There are opiniona I air on my blog, I wouldn't air at work and vice versa.
What you say about comments is interesting, not every blog I visit is serious, and I do have other sides which come out there.

Mutley- I tend to visit blogs more, where the blogger responds to comments. It feels more like a conversation.

Anonymous said...

Mutley is just very clever, Crushed! It was a wonderful parody but it is not YOU. What facet do I see? I see a very nice, honest young man who struggles to understand the great concepts of this world. I think it is inevitable that, as bloggers , we drop the "mask" sometimes. It happens bit by bit and sometimes we don't even realise we are doing it. It worries me, too. I suspect that if, one day in the far-off future , you drop this blog, you will soon be back! you enrich the lives of those who read you, Crushed; please don't forget that.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Very interesting post, btw.

> Because their relationship is with the blogger, not the blog.
I'll be honest, these are things which keep me awake at night. They do.
Ohhh...! I wish they didn't... wish it could all be settled so you wouldn't have to worry. You're very right; the relationship with the blogger shouldn't get into the blog... hmmmmm... that's a little late for me...lol.

P.S. I do hope you don't have to leave! It'd be such a pity...

Anonymous said...

Welshcakes is right. Mutley is very, very clever. I didn't quite like that guest post he put up of you (ha, it's his way... a little satiric), so it's a good thing you didn't write it (really, it was a little too out-of-this-world, which is more Mutley's style than yours, so don't worry so much, CBI...:-))

Anonymous said...

Welshcakes- I'm nice on the outside, and nice right in the very centre, topeople who hardly know me would concede the first, my closest friends the second.
But there are a fair few darker layers in between.
I'd never delete- I think bloggers who do, regret it. But David anthony has taken a time out, and left his blog waiting for his return one day.

I really don't think Blogger should have the delete option so easy.
There should be a deregistration process, so people can think what theuy ar doing.
Each blog, looking at it's archives, is a little book.

Eve- I won't be going anywhere, I just think it's important that people observe social niceties. As I say in a more recent post, we make convention for our own needs.
Blogging creates issues that are unique to itself, it creates it's own conventions, but respecting what a blogger chooses to regard as private, needs to be one of them.

Anonymous said...

I know what you are saying on this. SOmetimes the lines between blogging 'character' can be confusing. Or you might post something and get a heap of negative responses back and you think 'hang on - I was only hamming it up for the blog! I'm not really as pathetic/bad/loony/mean/angry/dumb as I made myself sound!! It was just for the story!"

I think one day I'll leave the whole lot behind as well, but for now, it's fun. Sometimes I get worried and anxious about what the open forum are going to say. But in the end - it's just a computer in your living room that can be ignored for weeks if yoU want to. It isn't worth the sleeplessness. Truly.
But I really do understand where you are coming from.