Wednesday 19 December 2007

A Good Forum For Debate



We are lucky in a way. Here IS a good place to start.

I'm not the only one convinced there is a dark future ahead, the collapse of the society we know. It is on the verge of coming down. I believe it. In his different way, James thinks similar.

I think Electro-Kevin has forebodings that way. It's in our bones. And we can see why, in our different ways.

What we don't all see to the same level I realise, is that it REALLY WILL give us the chance to decide how exactly we'd put it back together.



Some of us, would try have a go at building a society with the technology of the future, but the social structure of the pre-atomic age.

Others would restore the ethics of the sixties, but the technology of the iron age.

Me? Well, I'm advancing the position of a group whose voices aren't heard- the bulk of the graduate population of the e-generation, the underacheiving, disillusioned, bored, hedonistic libertines of Middle England. I've nailed my colours to the mast, where I'm coming from.



So between us, I guess we can try discuss exactly what will work, what won't, and which of the options that work, suits human needs best.

And then by the time the crash happens, at least somebody somewhere has been discussing what to replace this system with.
This seems as good a place as any to start having that discussion in civilised manner, worthy of an enlightened species.

Who says blogging cannot be important?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing well to be so cynical at this time of year! I'm actually quite optimistic about the next generations attitude towards the future.
Cheers

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"which takes you straight to my new blog.

Anonymous said...

I definitely can't debate you on this. We have a forum, and we have a free flow of information--at least for now we do.

I fear that one day this will truly become criminalized thought.

Until then, keep blasting the buggers until their eyes water.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think blogging could be very important regarding issues such as these. But I'm going to be very shallow now and say it's Xmas, Crushed, and most of us just want to relax for a few days before facing the big, ugly world again! Auguri di Natale, btw.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, lovely dream but the reality would turn out to be a nightmare. For a warning about movements led by people who make up the rules as they go along, read Norman Cohn's "The Pursuit of the Millennium".

Communism tells the gullible that destruction of the existing order will lead quickly to a far better state of affairs. Having smashed the system, the leaders then turn their supporters on the general populace and even on each other, in order to prevent being overthrown themselves. It is estimated that Mao caused the deaths of 70 million Chinese. Towards the end, his main concern was to creep into his grave without having to face trial, he didn't much care what happened afterwards.

We must do what we can to protect the next generations from horrible privation and conflict, and that means working within the existing, flawed order.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone lend me a tenner? No? Thought not. Try supporting SHELTER and The SAMARITANS this xmas, lets concentrate on meaningful issues...

Anonymous said...

Maddy- I'm not cynical at all, I'm trying to be optimistic.
We need to be proactive and not waste our contributions.

We all need to be in on this debate- it's our future as a species at stake.

Eric- Exactly. But let's make sure we get the issues out there, get people talking, discusiing, let's get everyone in, Conservatives, Maoists, Feminists, Environmentalists, Free Market Liberals, everyone.

Let's bring everyone in and create the first ever REAL democratic debating forum.

Welshcakes- Well, I'll catch up with my sleep, for sure.
But I'll be a long time dead, so I'll make the most of life whilst I can.

Sackerson- Not at all, I'm hoping that be the time the crash happens, a consensus will have ben reached.

Quite obviously, I hope that the consensus is close to my ideal, but I'm hoping an adult species can reach those conclusions itself.

The system is going down anyway. Twenty or thirty years, tops. My guess is much less than that.
So time is of the essence here, we need to be discussing these things seriously.

Mutley- Good point, every little helps.
But I don't think we should lose sight of the bigger picture.